Saturday 2 July 2011

Getting organized at the British Library

There is actually a tree above this sign. The library was an oasis after the chaos of Oxford Street. The Euston bus gave up on being a bus and off-loaded everyone in the middle of Oxford Street: there was Gay Pride, an Christian rally, and it all got too hard.  No one knew how to get to where they were going so it was all a mystery.  I eventually made it to Euston and checked in to the BL with all the ID required and pre-registration papers. However, in the UK an 'invoice' is not a 'bill' and there was a detailed conversation about the status of my Origin account.  Nevertheless I was photographed and armed only with a plastic bag, paper and pencil allowed in the Manuscript Room. I have ordered the volumes although the librarian said the first two are classified. It is a mystery to him and to me but as we have to speak in hushed tones and communicate via sign language I will just have to wait and see. What was Coleridge saying in 1789?

No comments:

Post a Comment