Saturday 9 July 2011

Sue arrives at Nether Stowey

Finally, at Nether Stowey.  Julia and Pete drove me to Feltham, then a train to Reading, then a train to Taunton, then a taxi to Nether Stowey.  The Bakers Cottage is between The Old House (where Lesley and I stayed in 2008) and the Rose and Crown pub (where Lesley and I drank and ate in 2008). It is a very old cottage, low beams, precarious staircase, overlooking a stone-walled yard and beautifully presented.  Nether Stowey is as I remembered but there is more building activity.  Still a little slow (no credit cards in the local shop thank you love-- although one did slip through the other day--they cost too much to process); but my mail from Kate was waiting and Barb, who looks after the cottage, arrived to sort out all things Nether Stowey. This includes fixing my computer; access to Coleridge's cottage; walking dogs on the Quantocks; and advice to get a car and take the local villages by storm. And going to the pub. The village is attempting to expand parking (you approach NS by way of a maze of hedgerows) so that the Coleridge Cottage can accommodate more visitors. Go the Parish council.

No comments:

Post a Comment